In just one day the Skully AR-1 was able to nab funding of over $900,000 and counting on Indiegogo and they still have a month left! Absolutely crushing their goal of $250,000. For those who may not be familiar with the Skully AR-1, its a motorcycle helmet with heads up display, review camera and GPS navigation. Voice commands let you keep a grip on the handlebars, and smartphone pairing gets the headgear online. Skully is doing an introductory price of $1,399 if you should be one of the first to get the helmet when it ships in May 2015. The price goes up to $1,499 if you wait until launch to make a purchase, so save yourself the $100 and augment your riding adventures now.
“The AR-1 will introduce a new era in intelligent transportation by combining optics, intelligent vehicle systems and connectivity to deliver unprecedented levels of safety,” Skully founder and CEO Marcus Weller said
The helmet connects to both iPhone and Android devices via Bluetooth. The built-in battery that powers the display and electronics lasts for about nine hours, which Weller sees as the maximum time that anyone would (reasonably) spend on a motorcycle continuously.
The AR-1 was introduced last October at DEMO, and Skully said more than 100,000 motorcycle riders have signed up to be beta testers since then. Weller came up with the idea for the helmet following a motorcycle accident in 2011.
- Lightweight, aerodynamic polycarbonate shell
- Ultra wide angle rearview camera
- DOT/ECE safety certification
- SKULLY anti-fog, anti-scratch, anti-glare E-Tint(R) visor
- SKULLY Synapse(TM) Vision Enhancement – shows true-to-life imaging of rearview panorama
- Audio/Visual GPS Navigation
- SKULLY Synapse(TM) Smart Heads up Display System with infinite focus
- SKULLY quick release chin strap and visor
- 3D laser-cut foam for a perfect fit
- Outlast(R) lining – reduces perspiration by 70%
- Bluetooth connectivity to smartphone
- Internet connectivity via smartphone
- Over-the-air updates – download new features as they are released
- Open SDK – develop your own apps for SKULLY Synapse(TM)